The countdown to Spirit of ’45 Day 2016 officially began with the installation of Seward Johnson’s monumental sculptures depicting the “Times Square Kiss” a few miles outside Detroit at the future site of the Michigan WWII Memorial. The 25 foot sculpture is identical to the ones in Sarasota, FL, San Diego, and Normandy, France symbolizing the national day to honor the legacy of the WWII generation, that was passed unanimously by the U.S. Congress in 2010.
This year, Spirit of ’45 events and activities will be helping to promote public awareness about the 75th anniversaries of important WWII events that will be taking place, beginning this year. 75th anniversaries include:
- President Roosevelt’s “Four Freedoms” speech on January 6, 1941
- The formation of the USO on February 4, 1941
- The formation of the Tuskegee Airmen on March 22, 1941
- The attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941
Several Spirit of ’45 Day ‘signature’ events have already been announced by coalition partners:
- Walgreens is again showing the Spirit of ’45 Day video on its jumbo screens in Times Square on the anniversary of the Kiss
- The National Park Service is repeating its highly successful “Rosie the Riveter Rally” with the goal of setting a new Guinness World Record
- The Medical Musical Group will perform two concerts in Washington, DC honoring the caregivers of WWII honoring the caregivers of WWII
- Community events are planned across the country in virtually every state from Florida to California
- Dignity Memorial and Bugles Across America are organizing Tribute wreath laying ceremonies at all VA national veterans ceremonies.
For more information, go to: www.spiritof45.org